Diversity


I was happy to have been given the chance to engage briefly, hoping perhaps in some small way prove in earnest that I did not think myself superior, rather I was just fascinated in my search of understanding. This was something I tried to explain to Nina as we left the safety of the covered tobacco factory into the midday sun. It seemed though that little act on my part allowed adults, those with a more conservative view, to relax more in my presence. It was a way to break the ice. The children in return tried to amuse us, the trio of Canuks, as we continued on our walk. I was circled by a large group of children. I had them hanging on to each hand, my waist and tugging at my capri pants.

What I do find fascinating is, as a result of Madagascan history of export travel (primarily the export sea routes from the 14th century onwards) that most Malgache are métis. Evident despite the darkness of the skin, many have light to medium brown and somewhat straight hair as well as other Asian traits; from slanted eyes, narrow hips and curveless buttocks. The people in Madagascar are as diverse as a rainbow in their genetic make up.

As in most places children are often the bridge to a community. Their natural curiosity and fearlessness tends to remove what prejudices adults may have about foreigners. We ended our walk back towards the port but continued to loiter around as the boat prepared for our continued journey. We watched the children playing with stones and wheels, splashing in the water between the boats and braiding each other’s hair. We finally departed our magical village oasis bound for more adventures ahead. I was in a state of photographic bliss and bewilderment as the boat grew further from the shoreline. I felt a sense of elation at being in Africa and seeing people in their natural unaltered state.

No comments:

Post a Comment